Monday 9 July 2012

First week at EAFIT Social

2 July - 6 July 2012 

My first work week at Universidad EAFIT is over!

To quench everyone's curiosity, I shall try to explain my work -

I am working in EAFIT Social, which is the 'University Social Responsibility' arm of the Eafit university, similar to CSR of companies. They work with many different communities and peasant corporations, both within the city and in the rural/municipal areas. 


How cool right? This seems very uncommon in universities, though I don't see why! After all most unis operate like a business, why shouldn't they have 'csr' too? 

Us trainees are part of a project under Eafit Social called 'Huellas En Accion' (Translate: Footprints in Action). I mentioned the other trainees will be working in different villages/farms. For instance, Tiago is working on a fruits farm which makes their own juice. They're now working on marketing and selling this new juice drink to a company in a city. Tiago is helping them with a creating a financial model, marketing strategy and etc! He is also being fed 7 meals a day and apparently gained 4 kg in 6 days O.o Such is the hospitality of Colombians :D

The office 

My lovely colleague, Cristina! 

My table and seat
I am working in EAFIT Social, and now working on a proposal to improve EAFIT Social by studying what the other universities do. And I work from 8am-4pm! Totally awesome getting off at 4, but I get up at 6.30 ouch. The only thing that peeves me is the fact that I cannot understand Spanish. I could be learning so much more. :(

EAFIT SOCIAL: http://www.eafit.edu.co/minisitios/eafit-social/Paginas/inicio.aspx

So what else did I do, besides work?

1. Ice Age 4


Watched my first Colombian movie in Spanish. I personally vouch that Ice Age is suitable for all kids, even if they cant speak nor listen yet.

2. AIESEC EAFIT 50th year anniversary!

Invitation Card



The conference

Mario Vargas, the director of EAFIT Social, giving a presentation!
Also: My boss and whose house I'm living in 

Gala Dinner


Mann, AIESEC LSE should totally have an event like this too. Unleash all our pride as the founding AIESEC Local Committee in UK..

3. Shopping at Mayorka, the Outlet!


'Outlet' says it all - cheaper-than-normal prices! Desiree and Anthea at summer school, stop gloating about the outlets! Lol.

4. Cooking

Yup I am making it a personal mission and giving myself intensive cooking training. Friends, behold.

Mario's pasta

Mafe's eggs

MY meat omelet thing!


5. Birthday celebration and disco!

Mafe brought me to a friend's birthday celebration at a Japanese sushi restaurant and I just gorged myself. Absolute yumminess.

We went to a disco after (club) but it was kinda zzz because nobody drank a drop (driving), I was dead tired, it was absolutely empty (thursday night) and they were playing this awful music called 'Reggaeton', which seems popular here



6. Spanish lessons

I am going to start taking Spanish lessons, 2 hours a day from 16 July! Excites.


(GOSH Results on 11 July holy) 

No comments:

Post a Comment