Friday 20 May 2011

Young PAP

What: Young PAP Introductory Session. 
Where: NTUC Centre, 1 Marina Boulevard. (If I ever work in Singapore, it has to be Shenton Way. I love how the posh buildings tower over the stretching streets) 
Who: Singaporeans, 18-40 yrs 

I first signed up for Young PAP a few months back. I got interested in politics, especially with the impending elections, and thought: What better way to find out more about politics than through the rulers of Singapore?

It is so true that more youngsters are getting interested in politics! The room was pretty filled up, more than 50 people definitely. It was more of an informative/briefing session, didn't discuss many issues..

The highlight was really guest speaker, Irene Ng, Member of Parliament from Tampines GRC.


I find her personality refreshing. She was from Penang, came to Singapore all on her own, studied Sociology in NUS and then became a journalist.

Perhaps because of her background, she was rather candid and forthcoming with her opinions. She proved open to our views, and is not afraid to voice her disagreements with the PAP policies. It was heartening to hear her. She demonstrated that PAP was not that boring or 'politically correct' and aloof after all.

And there was one thing she said that stood out to me. We cannot control many things in life, where and when we're born, the family we're born into and so on. But we can choose certain things. We choose the life we lead. We choose the principles we live life by. We choose who we become.

Despite my exhilaration at my recent decision, I still feel bouts of doubt sometimes. I fear the future, the instant where I might look back and regret my decision. Sometimes. Such doubts do not cloud the pride and happiness I feel at making my choice though. We cannot be afraid to give up what we have, in order to achieve what we want. I know what I want. I am okay with uncertainty. And I am going to make the most of it!!

It seems I can never put my sentiments properly into words. In any case, a cute song!

No comments:

Post a Comment